Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sunday School Spot-- Christ's Birth

One of the best things about my ward here in West Jordan is the Sunday School lessons. It's all about connections. So this I'm going to try to share what I learn every week I'm here in my "Sunday School Spots- ___(subject)"

OK,
let's start with the story of Zacharias.
My Sunday School teacher (SST) explained that there are three parts of the temple: the first part is the entry room, I don't know/remember the second room, and the third part is the Holy of Holies.
(My SST said that this could be symbolic of the 3 kingdoms)
Only one person would enter the 'Holy of Holies' room, to light some incense, or something.
The priest would draw lots (like rock, paper, scissors; choose a hand; draw a straw; etc.) to see who would do it.
Zacharias got the lucky opportunity, and then the angel came, he went dumb, etc.

Anyway, now a quick thing on the story of Mary.
My SST pointed out that Mary and Joseph probably had an arranged marriage, and might of met each other once or twice. I'd never thought about it like that before.

Something cool about the kings.
So the three kings came when Jesus was around 3 yrs. old, and brought gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Well, in SS, I learned that all three of those are used in burial services, funerals, and such. So the wise men were giving Christ the things he would need after he died on the cross.

Now for the really awesome stuff.
My SST told us that back in 1AD the stables were like caves, and the mangers were like stone feeding troughs. Then, he brought up how Christ was laid on a stone slab in a cave-like tomb. Cool, right!
Also...
Bethlehem means "house of bread"; and when Christ was crucified, and was pierced with a spear, blood and Water came out. Bread and Water. Sacrament.
Also...
In the wilderness, Moses smote a rock and water cam out of it. And Christ is our Rock. So when he was pierced with a spear, it made what Moses did symbolic.

I Love Sunday School!

1 comment:

  1. The entire passover is symbolic. You probably understand it all a lot better than I do.

    ReplyDelete